Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Road


“Rosebud” hangs in the air
The road swallowing sky
Radio playing the things we thought we loved
We walked like we were somewhere
The mountains we traversed
Reminded me of being lost

A single, razor sharp, can of beans at your teeth
Feasting on the life self-possessed
I never did prepare all that well
For long trips
Cities only seen from freeway exits
And Roadmaps

I know I am one of many
An endless chattering of egos
Suspended between the blackness of the infinite
Multiverse
I'm quiet now, at least most of the time

Dead trees pawing at the windows
Clothes scattered about the floor
This is all okay, I think this is all okay
Long strands of hair in the bathtub
The memory of her shape
“She was here, so many of them were.”

In the cellar, I keep some of their things
Boxes piled up, reaching for rafters
It's not the absence
But the silence I notice

We, all of us, know how to let go

So go ahead, push past the ether
Show them
The familiarity with which your heart
Caves in

The things I have done
Have happened, period
Libido laying waste to some
Ego gnawing on the bones of others
But there were a few
Who I truly loved
Moments, women, friends
Who I truly loved


We, all of us, know how to let go

So go ahead, push past the ether
Show them
The familiarity with which your heart
Caves in

No comments:

Post a Comment